Cheating Death: The Doctors and Medical Miracles that Are by Sanjay Gupta

By Sanjay Gupta

An unborn child with a deadly middle disorder . . . a skier submerged for an hour in a frozen Norwegian lake . . . a comatose mind surgical procedure sufferer whom medical professionals have declared a "vegetable."

Twenty years in the past them all might were given up for useless, with out reasonable wish for survival. yet this day, due to very good new clinical advances, each one of those members is alive and good . . .Cheating Death.

In this riveting booklet, Dr. Sanjay Gupta-neurosurgeon, leader scientific correspondent for CNN, and bestselling author-chronicles the virtually incredible technological know-how that has made those likely brilliant recoveries attainable. A daring new breed of medical professionals has accomplished awesome rescues by means of refusing to simply accept that any existence is irretrievably misplaced. prolonged cardiac arrest, "brain death," now not respiring for over an hour-all those stipulations was thought of necessarily deadly, yet they now not are. this day, progressive advances are blurring the conventional line among lifestyles and dying in attention-grabbing ways.

Drawing on real-life tales and utilizing his exceptional entry to the newest scientific examine, Dr. Gupta dramatically provides interesting debts of ways pioneering physicians and researchers are changing our figuring out of ways the human physique services in terms of survival-and why an increasing number of sufferers who as soon as could have died are actually alive. From experiments with healing hypothermia to avoid wasting comatose stroke or middle assault sufferers to lifesaving operations in utero to the examine of animal hibernation to aid wounded infantrymen on far away battlefields, those impressive case histories remodel and enhance all our assumptions in regards to the real nature of loss of life and life.

Reviews

"Dr. Gupta's new booklet isn't just interesting, it reads like a fast moving event tale, and it truly is. filled with actually heart-stopping moments, dishonest loss of life is an account of modern day clinical miracles, so much of which might were unthinkable a decade or in the past, and which extend the very barriers of lifestyles itself."--Oliver Sacks

"In dishonest dying, Dr. Sanjay Gupta chronicles a sequence of medical advances which are saving patients' lives in remarkable and virtually unfathomable methods. this can be a awesome book....All who learn it is going to stroll away feeling a feeling of pleasure within the alterations that Dr. Gupta so rigorously and warmly details."--Henry S. Friedman, MD, James B. Powell, Jr. Professor of Neuro-Oncology

About the author
Sanjay Gupta, MD, is a working towards neurosurgeon at Emory collage clinic and affiliate leader of carrier at Grady Memorial health center in Atlanta.

Show description

Read or Download Cheating Death: The Doctors and Medical Miracles that Are Saving Lives Against All Odds PDF

Best diseases books

Foot and Mouth Disease - A Medical Dictionary, Bibliography, and Annotated Research Guide to Internet References

This can be a 3-in-1 reference e-book. It supplies an entire clinical dictionary masking 1000's of phrases and expressions with regards to foot and mouth illness. It additionally offers wide lists of bibliographic citations. ultimately, it presents info to clients on tips to replace their wisdom utilizing numerous web assets.

Diseases of the Pancreas: Current Surgical Therapy

"Diseases of the Pancreas" relies at the most recent entire info approximately molecular mechanism of acute pancreatitis, power pancreatitis and pancreatic melanoma. The diagnostic concepts together with histology, radiology, sonography and so on. are according to the sensitivity and specificity of the respective tools.

Hereditary Diseases and Blood Transfusion: Proceedings of the Nineteenth International Symposium on Blood Transfusion, Groningen 1994, organized by the Red Cross Blood Bank Groningen-Drenthe

The invention of the constitution and serve as of DNA and the cracking of the genetic code have resulted in fast advances in gene treatment and screening and prognosis on a molecular foundation. whereas preliminary treatment has been for sufferers with unmarried gene defects, there's expanding curiosity in got affliction, utilizing the method of verify or deal with melanoma.

Additional info for Cheating Death: The Doctors and Medical Miracles that Are Saving Lives Against All Odds

Example text

In developed countries, fewer emm-types appear to circulate, with even fewer dominant. Steer et al. (Steer et al. 2009d) reported that 25 emm-types accounted for more 90 % of all isolates recovered in developed nations, with 146 different emm-types accounting for the remaining 10 %. Recovery of these predominant emm-types in multiple studies also suggests that are consistently present in the wider population (McNeil et al. 2005; Shulman et al. 2009; Smeesters et al. 2006). Longitudinal studies carried out in smaller geographic region show that different emm-types are recovered at different time points (Shulman et al.

2) (Bessen et al. 2005; Kalia and Bessen 2004; Kratovac et al. 2007). Linkages to tissue-specificity are particularly strong for genes encoding the colonization factors serum opacity factor (sof), collagen-binding protein (cpa), and fibronectin binding proteins (prtF1) and (fbaA), which have a defined pattern of presence or absence in strains associated with distinct tissue sites (Kratovac et al. 2007). There is also significant historical evidence to implicate these colonization factors in tissue tropism, and most recently, comparative genomic hybridization analysis of 96 GAS isolates revealed that a major defining factor of tissue tropism in skin versus throat isolates is the presence or absence of genes encoding fibronectin binding proteins (Bessen et al.

Steer et al. (Steer et al. 2009d) reported that 25 emm-types accounted for more 90 % of all isolates recovered in developed nations, with 146 different emm-types accounting for the remaining 10 %. Recovery of these predominant emm-types in multiple studies also suggests that are consistently present in the wider population (McNeil et al. 2005; Shulman et al. 2009; Smeesters et al. 2006). Longitudinal studies carried out in smaller geographic region show that different emm-types are recovered at different time points (Shulman et al.

Download PDF sample

Rated 4.36 of 5 – based on 24 votes

Related posts